Thursday, August 21, 2008

30 Days of Frustrations with a Blackberry - Day 6

0 comments


"Automatic Memory Cleansing"

Here's one of the worst features I have found yet. This is so bad, I can't believe someone else even thought of it, let alone implemented it. Most new users, like myself, had to find out about this feature the hard way-- We saw our SMS and call logs disappearing by themselves and wondered why. In my case, I was clicking around on the phone, so I assumed I must have purged my 'history' on accident and thought nothing of it. That is, until it happened again the next day, and the day after that. Finally, I went searching through forums and discovered the awful truth. This wasn't a bug, it was a FEATURE!

The Blackberry developers, in their infinite wisdom, put a setting on the phone that says anytime the free memory gets below XXX megs, start clearing out phone call logs and SMS to regain the memory. No, don't notify the user or cordially ask permission before doing it, just do it. No, don't leave a note letting us know it was done, just do it. Do it quietly, pretend nothing is going on, and when you get done, pretend like you were just sitting there idle. That's the gist of the code.

Hard to believe, isn't it? However, here's the proof:

sms & mms messages automatically deleting

SMS Text Auto Deleting on Blackberry Curve

Why does my blackberry pearl 8130 clear its SMS txt and call log?

So there you have it. The forum users accept this, even embrace this feature. Why? How could this feature possibly make sense? If any OS does something automatically, shouldn't the user have a setting to either disable it, or require a prompt before allowing it?

No need to answer that, it's a rhetorical question.

Current disposition: Since I'm a traditional power user who likes to use third-party apps to enhance my smartphone and yet like to have a call log and SMS history, I
still HATE Blackberries.

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories